Tales from the Saddle

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Hagerstown Challenge

So there was an impetetus behind this weekend's race. A well-admired former high school history teacher of mine teaches at a private school outside of Hagerstown. Now that I also work at a private school, we've reconnected (our schools are athletic rivals). I'd let him know late in the week that I may be in his area for a race on Saturday. It's been several years since I've seen him, although we kept in touch while I was in college, I gave myself the goal of racing so that I might have the opportunity to visit with him.

Keep in mind, after completing (barely) the Fitchburg Longsjo stage race a week ago, I was facing the so-called wall and lacking some motivation to get back on the bike. However, it's my favorite time of year--the Tour de France is on 24-7 in my house, on my pc, on my phone. If those guys can do what they do so well, I can get my ass on a bike and race for 45 minutes. So I drove up to H-town and zipped around the course. It was a combined 3/4 field, something I am getting used to. I was encouraged by the results of the Bryan Park Circuit Race from a few weeks before, so I wasn't dreading the race--I just wanted it to be over.

The course had some peculiar corners and some interesting lines to say the least. The first few laps went pretty well and I remained with the pack. A small group fell off the back soon after and we worked together as best we could. Despite a good warmup, it took my legs several laps to get into the zone and it didn't last too long. I rode strong, averaging 20 mph, but my legs were tired. I followed the chase group, about 10-15 seconds behind them. I was working hard, so it didn't bother me too much.

Alas, a last place finish, but at least it was over. I am a little discouraged, as I was trying to make it a season of no last places, but so far I've got a 10-3 record. And the season isn't over yet. This coming weekend it's the Cobblestone Crit and the VA State TT Championships. That will satisfy my 15 race requirement, but my road season lasts until mid-september with a few more races lined up before I seque to cross! I can only hope that all this road racing is preparing me mentally and physically for another go at the A races in the fall.

Enough already, right? How was the history teacher, you wonder? Just as I remembered him--only a little older and greyer, but as charming, captivating and entertaining as always!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home