Tales from the Saddle

Monday, July 10, 2006

Fitchburg Longsjo Stage Race Day 1 & 2

June 29-30, 2006

As many of you know, I've been in Massachusetts since Monday. Planning back in March for a conference in June in Boston, a quick Bikereg.com search revealed the 4-day stage race known as Fitchburg Longsjo. Longsjo was an athlete from Fitchburg, MA (where the race is held) who was the first athlete to compete in both the summer (cycling) and winter olympics (speedskating) in the same year! The Fitchburg Lonsjo has been won by Lemond, Phinney, Armstrong and Hamilton in years past, letting the race promote itself as the race that paves the way to France! Listening to the latest news, perhaps this is the race that leads you to controversy, as wel!

Anyway, the race started on Thursday morning with a time trial/prologue. A short 6.2 mile course of gradual inclines that ends a quarter up the way of Mt. Wachusett. There was no hold at the start and I was immediately faced with a head wind and an immediate incline. I think the race bible indicated that we would climb 500 ft over 6.2 miles.

Despite a good warm-up, hydrate, etc. I didn't find my legs until it was too late. I also didn't want to spend too much shifting and lose my place in the aero bars, so I messed up strategically by staying too long in my middle ring before the imminent climb at the end. My time was good for me at 22:16 but put me in 82nd place (read: DFL).

Day two was a circuit race around the campus of Fitchburg State College. A 3.2 mile course that women 3/4 would have to ride 7 times. My dad accompanied me to the race (it would be the first time he'd see me race)! I warned him this is where that unconditional love would come in handy, as I couldn't promise a great race! I stayed in the middle of the pack on the first lap where the top 10 in the GC lead us around comfortably. The pack blew up, or rather my place in the pack blew up shortly after rounding the final corner of the course: a rather intense climb. I fell to the back trying to stay on the others that also fell off the pack. However, soon
enough I found myself riding solo. However, I kept a good tempo and worked on my cadence. After the hill, the course was great will fast corners that helped give a much needed push. Each time I climbed the hill well, just not fast! The Men's 35+ race started a minute in front of us and they lapped me twice, but I was comforted by the cat 35+ stragglers that rode beside me. I was intent on keeping the women's peloton from lapping me, as I knew I was facing the chance of elimination from the next day's event if I didn't stay within 20% of the leaders time. The more laps I did, the better I got at climbing. My legs felt reasonably good. The women's field caught me on the last lap. My dad said I was never more than 5 minutes behind them, so I'll see if I am allowed to start tomorrow morning.

On one hand I want to qualify for tomorrow's race, even if I have finished last in last two day's events, just to continue my progress in this classic race. On the other hand, tomorrow's road race has us climbing Mt. Wachusett, a local mountain whose slopes keep skiers active in the winter. The women's field only needs to do 4 laps of this mountainous route, however the means we get to come downhill 4 times as well!! I'll keep you posted!

The GC for today's race hasn't been posted yet--but considering one of the cyclists in the top 10 didn't show up for today's race, I have moved up in the rankings by one. If others dropped out of the race or didn't finish today, I could possibly move into a high 70th ranking!! I love advantage as the misfortune of others (Just kidding--well, sort of!)

How do I feel about being DFL? I'm taking in it stride. The races have been fun and have gone well on a personal level. As some have said, It's just an honor to participate!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home