Tales from the Saddle

Monday, June 12, 2006

The Not So Quicksilver

One of the races I was mostly looking forward to all season, sprung up with surprise. It is June already? Why, yes it is.

How had I not predicted how chaotic my life would certainly become when I laid out my training plan in January? Had I been so cynical to think that I would be resigned to the same old, same old of the last 4 years and have plenty of that thing called time to train accordingly in hopes of tackling the A races I'd so strategically planned out? As it turns out, yes.

Of course, as many of you know, since February, I've taken on 2 new jobs and since March, I'd taken on 2.5 more. Even though my day begins before dawn and finishes early enough to idealistically get in a decent workout, more often than not sleep and whatever food I am able to scrape together from my bachelor(ette) refridgerator wins over.

Anyway, the Quicksilver had long been destined to be my A race. Last year's race was great as I proved my mettle staying with the pack for most, if not all of the race. This year, I knew enough to not expect too much. Again, I had a great start and stayed with the pack for a few laps, until again it broke up. A new tactic developed, born out of laziness and past failed attempts to govern a paceline from the stragglers; I became a wheel suck. I found a wheel, any wheel and just held on until I was able to pull and get myself to the next rider. The wind was something fierce and drafting anything made more sense than going it alone. I wasn't opposed to a paceline formation, but I wasn't going to facilitate it.

My legs felt it this time around. I was strong, but definitely not at my best. Maybe it was the wind. Maybe it was the loss of bike time. Regardless, the bike and I are going to spend some quality time together, no matter what it takes. Until I regain some of the training required to get me back into focus, my goals of the season have shifted a bit. I realize that it wasn't too long ago that it was a fairly common occurence for me to finish in last place (hard to believe, I know). But it's true. And while I could look at my past few races as a rather discouraging display of hard work and effort gone to pot--I am choosing instead to see the silver lining (on behalf of the Quicksilver, no less!). Out of the 8 road races this spring, I have yet to finish last. A small accomplishment, maybe--but promising progress, no doubt.

Finished 16/20.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home